Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Kaylin's day at the doc

What an afternoon we've had - me and the girl...

Kay-Kay needed her 18 month old shots so she could continue at the day care so, after many calls and finally walking in to the children's clinic, I made her an appointment last week. I was a little unnerved at the clinic's location but it was the closest one and the one that TriCare covered so that was our choice.

Her appointment was at 1:30 but they asked me to be there at 1:00 since she's a new patient and had more paperwork to fill out. I had her there at 12:50. Remember, I am, by NO means, racist in any form but it was hard not to notice that we were the ONLY non-black people in that office from the time we arrived to the time we left at 3 pm. (The one exception was the doctor.)

Anyway, there's a one-way street next to the clinic so I drove down that thinking I'd go around the block and come up the street the clinic was on. I drove down the street and as I rounded the corner to the street that the clinic was on, there stood a man with overalls down around his knees. He had jeans under them but his hands were down the front of his jeans and I got the distinct impression I was interrupting something but I can honestly say I DON'T want to know what!

So.. there were no parking spaces within a couple blocks of the clinic so I drove back to the one-way street and parked there - then walked through an alley way, decorated with graffiti, to the clinic. While we were walking through the alley (I was carrying Kaylin) a car came through so I moved over to the side, paying close attention to what was stepping on and around since there were assorted items littering the side of the street. A smell assaulted my senses and I noticed a pile of feces which I could tell was NOT animal....

We were at the clinic from 12:50 to 3:00 pm, most of it uneventful. Kaylin even fell asleep in the waiting room after the doctor examined her. She's doing well - 25th percentile in everything which is something I have to get used to since all of you know that Zach was always in the 80th to 90th percentile and had a full vocubulary by now where I'm lucky if Kaylin has 10 words but she's developing just as she should so no need to worry. She had to have 2 shots, have blood drawn to test for lead and anemia and she also had to have a TB test so the nurse poked her with a needle in her arm, and inserted fluid just below the surface of her skin to form a raised bump. I have to take her back on Monday between 8:30 and 11 to have it "read".

It's nearly 5:30 and she's running around the house, tossing stuff down the stairs, as if nothing ever happened so I guess she's fine. Aw, the resilience of youth!

Off for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment